Tie-dye Test Shirt

I haven’t been tie-dying much lately, and last time I tried my expected green shirt came out brownish yellow. I was afraid all my dyes had done bad, which apparently happens over time as they are exposed to moisture in the air. This week, I set out to get a sample of every dye I have. Not wanting to actually mix up 50 bottles of dye, I used an old shirt and put small smudges of dry dye on it in a grid.

dyesamples - 1 copy

The grid was set to match a wireframe shelf which I set down over the shirt to help keep each dye within the lines. So far so good. Then I poured soda ash water over the shirt, and things got screwed up a bit. I should have been gentler with the water application or placed another layer of fabric on top. Instead I got some splatter, but most of the color swatches can still be made out.

dyesamples - 2 copy

So it looks like most of the dyes are good. Below are labeled excerpts of each dye. It’s about the same layout as the shirt but rotated 90° clockwise.

samples1

samples2

A few colors are duplicated, reflecting how the collection has grown by “inheriting” dyes from retired tie-dyers.

I guess I was unlucky last year in using Moss Green, which is about the only bad color in the bunch. Chartreuse also looks a bit brownish.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.