Low Water Immersion Tie-Dyes

As a follow up to last week’s test dye run, I tried a few shirts with my newly certified dyes. I also wanted to try out a possible button-down shirt supply. It’s hard to find dress shirts that are both all cotton and cheap enough to experiment with. However, I found a 97% cotton dress shirt for $23 on Amazon and decided to give it a try.

I’m using the low water immersion technique from Paula Burch’s site. Basically, you cram the shirt into a jar, pour dye(s) on it, wait an hour, add concentrated fixer, wait another hour or so, and rinse. Very simple if you’re happy with a random pattern (which has a greater risk of flopping).

Here’s the dress shirt.

navyshirt - 1

I tried mixing two dye colors, Navy Blue and Camel (light brown), but I don’t see any trace of the Camel. Nonetheless, the shirt turned out pretty well. The 3% spandex doesn’t seem to have causes any dying issues. The seams are apparently nylon and didn’t take up any dye.

Each jar had about four cups of water and about eight teaspoons of dye, which seems to have been too much. The short sleeve was all Rust, and doesn’t have as much variation as I was expecting from the test sample.

rustshirt - 1

This mix of Jade Green and Deep Yellow is my least favorite. Looks more like a laundry accident.

greenshirt - 1

Oh well, at least the dress shirt looks promising. Will order more of those.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.